Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shibori

I just spent a week of studying shibori techniques with indigo and acid dyes. What an adventure! It was one of the most enjoyable weeks I've spent in a studio.  Previously, I had made one arashi (pole-wrapped) scarf using fiber reactive dyes.  But, learning with an experienced artist - Ana Lisa Hedstrom - is always a terrific way to embark on a new pathway.  We referenced Wada's book often  [Yoshiko Wada, Mary Kellogg Rice, and Jane Barton. Shibori: the inventive art of Japanese shaped resist dyeing. Tokyo: Kodansha International, 1983.]  but also included Hedstrom's samples and two terrific slide shows of her work.  Her experience over the last 40 years gave us such a wealth of information and practical advice, as well as confidence to experiment. We used pole wrapping, clamping, stitching, double wrapping, discharge.  The experience was meditative for me, in that the processes of wrapping, folding, stitching require much forethought and a careful consideration of the materials for each technique. 


During this trip I had dinner with my cousin Christine.  We had dinner twice during the week and exchanged information for the ongoing family geneology study.  All in all, a terrific week and today we're celebrating my mother's 94th birthday!  Yeah!!!!


Here are some samples of my work done in the shibori workshop.







No comments:

Post a Comment