Thursday, June 23, 2011

Getting over blogophobia

This is my fourth blog since starting to blog about six years ago.  The first blog was a catalog of studio work and really of interest to only me, so I wondered why anyone else would even look to see.  My works in progress were preliminary at best but I forged on.  My second and third blogs ran concurrently and were theme-driven, related to classes I was taking or a project  I was involved in.  I felt increasingly compartmentalized and finally fractured into tiny little blog pieces that were not even of interest to me.

So, having read hundreds of blogs, FB walls, and erudite musings on blogging, I've decided to step up once again to the screen and keyboard to memorialize what's happening in the Talking Door Studio.  I hope it will be of interest to others too.

I will continue to catalog my new works here mainly to give you a chance to see them up close and personal and give me feedback, if you are so inclined.  Like many others who blog regularly, I think it is important to write - it helps organize thoughts, and streamline the rhetoric.  Speaking of rhetoric - here's a wiki on rhetoric:

"Rhetoric is the art and study of the use of language with persuasive effect. In Aristotle's systematization of rhetoric, one important aspect of rhetoric to study and theorize was the three persuasive audience appeals: logos, pathos, and ethos, as well as the five canons of rhetoric: invention or discovery, arrangement, style, memory, and delivery. Along with grammar and logic or dialectic, rhetoric is one of the three ancient arts of discourse. From ancient Greece to the late 19th Century, it was a central part of Western education, filling the need to train public speakers and writers to move audiences to action with arguments."

There are three fiber artists who I think are exceptional bloggers - each is different in style, content and approach.  They may even know each other, I don't know,  but I read each of their blogs with anticipation.  I leave their blogs having greater insight, possible understanding of what they have been noodling about and usually a big grin.  Who is this dynamic trio - Elizabeth Barton [http://elizabethbarton.blogspot.com], Rayna Gilman [http://studio78notes.blogspot.com] and Jane Dunnewold [http://existentialneighborhood.blogspot.com].  These women are my fiber heroines as well.  I hope I can contribute to their legacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment